- Hook your Readers. Make them curious in the opening lines of the story so they feel like reading ahead. So a good hook is a necessity.
- Next, the pace of the story needs to be consistent.
- Always read aloud your story to yourself and to an audience. (ask your friends or your writing group) If it reads well and holds the audience attention, it will hold the reader’s attention as well. If you can take your readers to the scene of your story by merely reading it to them, you have done your job as a writer.
- Make your characters interesting and believable.
- Lastly, your story should leave the readers satisfied with its ending.